- Legislative oversight refers to the monitoring and review of
executive agencies, activities, programs and policy
- Legislative oversight is an integral part of the constitutional
system of checks and balances.
- Legislative oversight excised through legislative
authorization, investigations and hearings.
- Legislative oversight refers as an implied power that drives
from the legislatures.
Legislative Oversight of policy
Executive branch of every organization bears all the
responsibilities related to the policy implementation but the
legislative branch maintains a very important oversight
responsibility in the implementation phase. Some of the important
points that legislative oversight is intended to accomplish during
policy implementation are:-
- Ensure that implementing organizations adhere to congressional
- Try to improve the efficiency, effectiveness and economy of
- Assess the ability of implementing organizations and
individuals to manage and accomplish policy implementation.
- Legislative oversight ensure that implementation of policies
reflects the public interest.