Describe the purpose of the Administrative Simplification provisions of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
As a Medical Office Assistant, you will collect and have access to personal health information. You have the responsibility (by law) to protect a patient’s privacy by safe-guarding this information and maintaining confidentiality.
Research the federal and provincial laws that protect health information and consequences for privacy breeches.
In your post, be sure to include the following:
a brief description of the applicable laws in your region (province) Alberta
a brief description of the consequences of privacy breaches
how you will protect patient information
CPT code _________
Read the issue brief from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation entitled “Education Matters for Health” 2009
There appears to be a dose-response relationship between educational attainment and health—the more you get, the better it is. Why this is true is not clearly understood, though several reasonable hypotheses have been proposed. Describe the 3 interrelated pathways presented as explanations for this relationship in this brief. Which do you feel is the strongest? Why? According to data presented in the brief, “the United States is the only industrialized nation where young people currently are less likely than members of their parents’ generation to be high-school graduates.” What evidence is given to support this statement? Why do you think this situation exists? What will it take to correct it? As would be expected, parents’ educational attainment is linked to their children’s health and even their educational attainment. These linkages, in turn, influence the health and educational attainment of their children’s children, as well, perpetuating an endless intergenerational cycle of high (or low) educational attainment and its associated better (or poorer) health. How does this fit with the biblical understanding of multigenerational influence (Exodus 34:6–7)? In what ways can the Church help interrupt the vicious cycle beginning with low educational attainment? Pray that God will use you to be a positive influence on your children in this area or on others whom God will bring across your path.
In the US, convicted sex offenders are labeled and must register their personal information with the government. The government shares this information with the public for their safety. There are many reasons why this program was developed. Think about this program, and research it more in-depth if you are unaware of it. Include citations in APA format for any resources you utilized in your research.
Before writing your post, weigh the priority of community safety vs. the problems of offenders being jailed again. Also look at the impact the labeling process has on the offender. In your discussion post address the following questions:
Do you think that there are any other good ways to maintain a positive classroom atmosphere?
63. Human ageing is a rapidly evolving area of health research because (select all that apply):
A. I, IV, V
B. I, II, III, IV, V
C. II, III, IV
D. I, III, IV
Clearly explain whether the following responses are normal, or not.
A. HR response to rising exercise intensity (hint look at MET and HR increases together)
B. Peak HR reached
C. HR recovery after the test
Once a neoplasm has been established, all of the following are required for progression to metastatic disease EXCEPT:
C. Detachment and invasion.
D. Spread via lymphatic and blood vessels.
Discussion Questions (Choose Three)
1. People consume many liquids besides water: tea, soda, sports drinks, coffee. There is often debate about whether these beverages are good hydration, or if they only dehydrate? What does the book have to say on this issue? What factors must be considered when drinking non-water hydrating beverages?
2.Sodium is overabundant in the typical American diet because salt is often added in excessive quantities to processed foods. Find a food label that has an outrageous amount of sodium per serving. Then find a low sodium substitute food and post that label as well. Make sure the foods are essentially equal in calories & Serving size. What is the most shocking value of sodium we can find as a class?
3. The book states “there is no miracle food or supplement”. This is so true. Find 3 foods or supplements that are generally touted as “good”, then provide at least one nutritional, cultural, or environmental problem with that food or supplement. For example, eggs are a great source the vitamin choline, but eggs are also one of the foods most likely to cause a food allergy. (you must do this for 3 foods).
4. The book points out that less than 10% of Americans get the recommended number of fruit and vegetable servings per day. And that potato (French fries and hash browns) was the most reported veggie. Why is American vegetable intake so low? What can be done to increase veggie consumption in your diet, your family’s diet, and in those around you? (see the tools for change section in chapter 8) Many people choose to take a supplemental multi-vitamin instead of eating a healthy well-balanced diet. Can taking a multivitamin replace veggies in the diet?
5. Do veggies and multi-vitamins have the same health benefits? Are vitamin supplements and veggies equally safe? Explain your answer?
A viral infection will trigger ________, which is important to destroy ________.
A. humoral immunity only; intracellular viral pools
B. cell mediated immunity only; viruses in any location.
C. humoral and cell mediated immunity; intracellular and extracellular viral pools.
D. cell mediated immunity only; intracellular viral pools
Mary is an 8 year old girl who fell off her skateboard and has grazed her knee and hand. The epithelium of the skin is broken and bleeding. This case study will be used to contextualise and highlight the linkages between the early non-specific defences and later specific defences.
Non-specific defence mechanisms that would be important at the time of Mary’s injury:
A. Include barriers to invasion, phagocytosis, inflammation, fever, interferon and complement proteins.
B. Include barriers to invasion, phagocytosis, B and T cells, inflammation and complement.
C. Require recognition of specific antigen sites on invading pathogens.
D. Require a long lead up time before they become effective.
Which of the following are types of non-living vaccines?
A. I, III, IV
B. II, IV
D. I, III
What is the most effective way to culture Halobacterium noricense that colonize The Great Salt Lake in Utah? Explain how the conditions and culture media you choose will meet the nutritional and environmental needs of the microorganism. (Is there a particular temperature you should use? Is CO2 needed? What medium would be best?)