In looking at exenatide, how is this drug administered? How is it supplied? What type of diabetic is this drug used for? How does it work? What are 3 priority teaching points?
* Administration of Exenatide.
* Exenatide is administered through subcutaneous route.
* It is administered one hour before the begining of first and
last meal of the day.
* Supply of Exenatide.
* It is supplied as prefilled pens or vial containing exenatide power
for subcutaneous injection.
* Exenatide used for treatment of Type 2 diabetes melitus.
* Three priority teaching points.
* Teaching about the importance of taking meal after exenatide
injection to avoid hypoglycemia.
* Educate the patient about how to prepare and inject exenatide
during self administration.
* Teach the patient to observe the colour of suspension before
injection and disposal methods if colour change occur.