- Amount of air inhaled or exhaled after normal breath .
- Normal volume = 500 mL.
Inspiratory reserve volume
- Amount air inhaled forcefully after a normal inhalation .
- Normal volume = 3000 mL
Expiratory reserve volume
- Amount of air exhaled forcefully after a forcefull
- Normal volume = 1000 mL
- Amount of air remaining in the lungs after a forcefull
- Normal volume = 1200 mL
- Amount of air that can be inhaled after normal exhalation
- IC = IRV + TV
- Normal volume = 3500 mL
- Amount of maximum air that can be exhaled after a forceful
- VC= TV + IRV + ERV
- Normal volume = 3400 -4500 mL
Functional residual capacity
- Volume of air in the lungs after normal exhalation.
- FRC = RV +ERV
- Normal volume = 2200 mL
Total lung capacity
- Volume of air present in the lungs after forceful
- TLC = TV+IRV+ERV+RV
- Normal volume = 4900 - 6400 mL