The Vroom-Yetton-Jago Normative Decision model offers five
- Autocratic 1; Decide independently
- Autocratic 2: Gather basic additional
information from others to inform your decision, and then decide
- Consultative 1: share the details of your
situation with a small number of others in order to gather
high-quality opinions, and then decide independently.
- Consultative 2: Facilitate a group to generate
ideas, share impressions and weigh in on the decision, and then
make the decision independently.
- Collaborative: Facilitate a group toward a
consensus decision without regard for our own opinions.
Using this process in nursing to imporve qualit of health in the
- You are the primary administrator for your ward and you have
run this administration before. You have been asked by the staff to
make a decision regarding equipment.Since one could argue that
neither the quality of the decision or team buy in are critical,you
can use Autocratic 1 and make the decision
- You have been asked to meet with your staff in order to help
new staff integrate into the group and get everyone focused on the
same objectives. The quality of decision and team commitment are
both important. Yet you likely dont have enough information to make
the decision,nor is the problem well structured. This would suggest
you use either the Consultative 2 or
collaborative approach to make the decision.
- You would like to make a procedural change to how your program
is run and the quality of the decision is important. You would like
others on your team to support what you decide,but you also know
they will trust you to make the decision yourself.Using the visual
guide, you learn that your best approach is
Autocratic 2. You gather basic
input from the two other people who will have to make adjustments
to their workflow and then you make the decision on your own.
- You have thoughts about strategic changes that could be made to
your colleague's program.Hold on! common sense- and this decision
making model-both dictate that this is not your decision and you
need to use the collaborative method (or instead,
share this mode and your specific strategic idea with your
colleague and let them decide).