In: Mechanical Engineering
ASSIGNMENT WEEK 1 (Metal Casting)
1. Name the two basic categories of casting processes. (CO1,C2)
2. What properties determine the quality of a sand mold for sand casting?
3. What is the difference between vacuum permanent-mold casting and vacuum molding?
4. What are the most common metals used in die casting?
5. Which die-casting machines usually have a higher production rate, cold-chamber or hotchamber, and why?
6. What is flash in die casting?
7. What are some of the operations required in sand casting after the casting is removed from the mold?
8. What are some of the general defects encountered in casting processes? Name and briefly describe three.